Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

5th Grade Graduation – Part 1: Getting Inspired!

The last couple of weeks have been super crazy!  Between the May Day macaron orders along with other baking orders and trying to continue to work on the designs I have available on PaperStyle, I haven’t had time to sit down and get a post put together.  I just put a batch of sugar cookie dough into the fridge to chill (hopefully tomorrow or Friday’s post) and my wonderful husband took the kids to the park.  Even though my camera is full of things that I have been working on, and I do hope to get these posted soon, I decided that I should work on a post about what I am currently working on…5th Grade Graduation!  Jacob will be starting middle school in the fall and though I know he is getting excited, I also know that the nerves have already set in.  We decided that we would have a celebration with a small group of his friends.  With purple and gold being the school colors, I decided to use these for the color scheme.  I found a few coordinating things at Polka Dot Market, I love everything about this store and have been wanting to get stuff from here for a while now, this seemed like the perfect occasion!
I started working on the invitations and other printables (some of which are available free in my previous post J!) Since the invitations were pretty simple in their design and I did plan far enough in advance to order coordinating colors envelopes, I went with basic white and did a custom lining for them.  I also designed an envelope wrap to use as the address labels, I think that these might be my new favorite thing, I love how it gives a little sneak peek of what is inside. 
Invitation with custom coordinating liner

Envelope with wrap label
On to the inspiration part of this post...I love looking at different parties for inspiration, but really find myself inspired by a wide variety of things.  From clothing to furniture, patterned paper to paper towels…I know it sounds crazy but I found these paper towels with the best pattern on them J!  I guess the point I am trying to make is that anything can serve as inspiration.  By the end of the day I would have a stack of post-it notes with sketches or printed pages of pictures of something that I thought that would be good for this or that.  Fairly recently I had a wonderfully talented and creative friend introduce me to Pinterest (thanks Krista J!). I am sure that many of you are now familiar with this site, but if not it is one of the best ideas I think I have every seen!  Long gone are the sticky notes (at least most of them), they have been replaced with boards of inspiration filled with images from all over the web. I have started boards for several different parties I am working on along with other boards filled with amazing stuff.  What I love the most about this site is that it has introduced me to other blogs, stores and other sites that I was unfamiliar with.  I am sharing the board that I started for Jacob’s graduation party with you today, enjoy!   
5th Grade Graduation Board - click here
I look forward to sharing how everything comes together for the party along with a couple of projects that I have in the works!  Thanks for stopping by today, hope everyone has a great day!

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment